Saturday, May 12, 2012

Vaisakhi


Sikhs in Alberta celebrate Vaisakhi in May instead of April since snow and parades don't mix very well. That means I got to celebrate Vaisakhi twice this year! Once with my mom in Phoenix and now here in Calgary.









This is one of the coolest things I tried, East Indian style ice cream. I never found these in east India! It was good!

The festival generates an unbelievably enormous amount of garbage



This is the event of the year for bottler pickers but most seem to get overwhelmed and give up.



I was overwhelmed but I didn't give up. I only quit when I couldn't get anymore bottles in the car.

The bottled depot credited me with 302 bottles. The bottle depot manager must have seen my out of country license plates and came out to my car to ask if these were Alberta bottles, yup!